The Stats – Realize How Big Online & Mobile Marketing Has Become
Its Is Important To Know Where Consumers Are Spending Their Time Online
Why? So you can plan your marketing strategy and optimize your online presence. This will bring you more sales and profits.
When consumers are looking for local products and services, more and more of them are only searching online and on their mobile phones. This is increasing at an exponential rate. If your business cannot be found online, and it doesn’t use proper marketing principles to get results, you are missing out on the most significant market of new prospects, new sales and repeat purchasers. Those thick Yellow Pages books as well as print, radio and TV ads – for most businesses – are just not cutting it anymore.
Let’s take a look at a summary of the more important details:
Online Consumers: They are EVERYWHERE! Are you reaching them? Do you know where they are looking for you?
- 86% of consumers use the internet to find a local business
- Online search is the #1 way consumers look for products & services
- 1 in 3 mobile searches is local
- Users spend an average of 2.35 hours per day or 18 hours per week online
- Consumers 18 to 44 spend more time on the internet than with offline media
- In the last 5 years, time spent surfing the web has grown 121%
- They are EVERYWHERE: websites, blogs, search engines, social media sites (esp. Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn & Youtube), directories, content & video sites, etc.
Mobile Consumers: They are growing rapidly in size – BE THERE!
- 79% of smart phone users use their devices to help with shopping and 74% have purchased as a result
- The average user spends 50 minutes per day using a mobile device
- Mobile web will surpass desktop internet use by 2015
Video: Are you using it to bring your business to life & engage more visitors?
- 170 million Americans watch over 30 billion videos online each month!
- The average user spends 15 minutes per day on YouTube
- YouTube has become the 2nd largest search engine and makes up 25% of all Google searches
Social Media: Are you building brand awareness & engaging with others?
- Social networking (e.g. Facebook, etc.) is the #1 online activity in the U.S.
- Nearly half of internet users use social media in addition to search when considering a purchase
- Over 50% of online consumers are more likely to buy from businesses they follow on social media
- The average user spends 25 minutes per day on Facebook
- On average, U.S. users spend more than 2 hours per month on Twitter
Review Sites: Do you know what others are saying about you and your business?
- 86% of consumers consult online reviews before buying, and 90% of consumers trust the reviews they read
- 78% of consumers say reviews are important when deciding what to buy
- 7 out of 10 consumers share reviews with friends, family & colleagues
Marketing Budget: How much are you spending for your online presence?
- Consumers spend approximately 60% of their media time online, yet local businesses spend less than 15% of their marketing budgets online
- In 2010, spending on local online advertising surpassed offline newspaper ad spend
See all of the sources for the above statistics at the end of the slideshow below.
Here is the entire fantastic compilation of information on what people are doing online (including all information sources), provided by the good folks at ReachLocal, Inc.. Please review this slideshow and consider the importance of having a great online presence: